Florida Music Standards
Critical Thinking and Reflection
- Cognition and reflection are required to appreciate, interpret, and create with artistic intent.
- Assessing our own and others’ artistic work, using critical-thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making skills, is central to artistic growth.
- The processes of critiquing works of art lead to development of critical-thinking skills transferable to other contexts.
Historical and Global Connections
- Through study in the arts, we learn about and honor others and the worlds in which they live(d).
- The arts reflect and document cultural trends and historical events, and help explain how new directions in the arts have emerged.
- Connections among the arts and other disciplines strengthen learning and the ability to transfer knowledge and skills to and from other fields.
Innovation, Technology and the Future
- Creating, interpreting, and responding in the arts stimulate the imagination and encourage innovation and creative risk-taking.
- Careers in and related to the arts significantly and positively impact local and global economies.
- The 21st-century skills necessary for success as citizens, workers, and leaders in a global economy are embedded in the study of the arts.
- Understanding the organizational structure of an art form provides a foundation for appreciation of artistic works and respect for the creative process.
- The structural rules and conventions of an art form serve as both a foundation and departure point for creativity.
- Every art form uses its own unique language, verbal and non-verbal, to document and communicate with the world.
Skills, Techniques and Processes
- The arts are inherently experiential and actively engage learners in the processes of creating, interpreting, and responding to art.
- Development of skills, techniques, and processes in the arts strengthens our ability to remember, focus on, process, and sequence information.
- Through purposeful practice, artists learn to manage, master, and refine simple, then complex, skills and techniques.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION